Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Meera Bhajan - Mharo Pranaam, Banke Bihari ji


This is a very pristine composition in Raag Yaman Kalyan, based on Meerabai's beautiful poetry in Braj bhasha.  I was mesmerized when I heard the soulful rendition of Gaansaraswati Smt. Kishori Amonkar. Truly an amazing composition in praise of Mohan, and a clean rendition that lingers in the heart for days on.

Please check out my humble attempt. I performed this for a Diwali party and it was very well received.



Bhajan: Mharo Pranaam
Poet: Mirabai   Language: Braj bhasha
Based on performance by: Kishori Amonkar
Raag: Yaman Kalyan    Taal : Keherwa, Madhyalaya

Translator: Animesh Kumar (from Internet)
Words and interpretation:
Mharo pranaam Banke Bihari ji
Mharo pranaam
Mor mukut mathya tilak biraja
Kundal alaka kari ji
Mharo pranaam Banke Bihari ji
Adhar madhur dhar bansi bajav
Ri jhiri jhawa braj nari ji
Mharo pranaam Banke Bihari ji
Ya chhab dekhya mohya Meera
Mohan giriwardhari ji
Mharo pranaam Banke Bihari ji
Interpretation:
My obeisance to Banke Bihari, Who has a crown of peacock-feathers,
a tilaka mark rested on the forehead and locks of hair hanging over his earring hoops.
With His sweet lips, He holds and plays the flute
And playfully entices His dear Radha.
This image captivates Meera—this image of Mohana,
Who lifted the Govardhana Mountain

3 comments:

  1. Swaravanshi ji, I came here searching for your this rendition of 'Mharo Pranam.' Words fall short to say anything about your singing. Where can I find more of your singing, please? Also is it possible to have a copy/.mp3 of this, please? With such beautiful singing, I can only think you are very kind too. Thanks for uploading this. If you want to share this bhajan, my email id - sujatadarbha@gmail.com Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SujataJi for your lovely feedback. I am in the process of compiling more compositions of Kishori AmonkarJi and saving them as a playlist/album. Please do follow me on soundcloud.com/swaravanshi. I post all my work and live performances as well. Regards

      Delete
  2. BTW I am as a senior from canada, my sons learnt (very little) Hindustani as we were moving so much those days, now my teenage & pre-teen grand daughters are learning. Best Regards

    ReplyDelete